The Associazione Archivio Storico Olivetti library specialises in the history of the Olivetti Company, its founders and those who collaborated with the company. The main part of the collection comprises monographs, grey literature and periodicals from the Olivetti factory libraries that were conferred to the library under the deposit agreement stipulated in 1998 between the Olivetti Company and the Associazione Archivio Storico Olivetti.
The factory library was set up in 1938 as an after-working hours library and later was developed and managed by Umberto Campagnolo. In the Associazione Archivio Storico Olivetti library are documents with alphanumeric stamps and labelling from the 10 Olivetti factories spread throughout Ivrea and the surrounding areas plus the Olivetti employee only Technical Library. Overall, the Olivetti library came to possess more than 100,000 volumes and most of these are available to the entire population of the territory.
These collections in the Associazione Archivio Storico Olivetti library contain economics, history, politics, literature, architecture, city planning, graphics and art texts. Over the years, this heritage has been enriched through the acquisition and recovery of further library collections such as the parts from the Olivetti Psychology Centre, Social Services Centre and the Pozzuoli Factory library (periodicals).
Currently the Associazione Archivio Storico Olivetti library has 21,000 titles; since 2014 it has been a member of the Canavese and Ivrea Library System and its catalogue can be consulted on the following website http://ivrea.erasmo.it/Opac/RicercaBase.aspx .
CoBiS started up a project on the Linked Open Data (LOD) applying it to the catalogued data and this has been achieved through a contribution made by the Piedmont Region. This new library access tool to the library collections of six Piedmont libraries can be consulted on https://dati.cobis.to.it/.
The library includes a newspaper library with 250 periodicals of which 3 are open and also includes those inherited from the factory newspaper libraries. By reconstructing the stories in the various publications starting from Azione Riformista, the political weekly founded by Camillo Olivetti in 1920, it is possible to highlight how Olivetti and its founders devoted themselves to publishing.
The first company publication is the Bollettino interno di informazione which came out in 1937 and was promoted by the export office to spread news concerning the organisation in Italy and abroad.
In the same year the Tecnica ed Organizzazione magazine was published which focused on organisational and technical problems in the mechanics industry and in 1950 publishing was resumed with the Edizioni di Comunità monthly editions of “studi sul lavoro umano” before returning with a new series in 1958 under the direct management of the Ivrea company.
1939 was the year of the Foglio di comunicazione interne, edited by the personnel office as a liaison tool for all the organisations belonging to Olivetti. In the same year Export BO bollettino Olivetti, was also issued which had a special focus on foreign activities, updates on new products, new shops and social assistance services in the Ivrea factories.
The monthly politics and culture journal Comunità came out in March 1946 and was published by Edizioni di Comunità, the publishing house founded in that year by Adriano Olivetti following the experience of the Nuove Edizioni Ivrea.
In 1947, the first edition of Rivista Olivetti appeared for the Italian and foreign sales organisation. A total of seven editions were printed before it closed in 1953 with a print run of 60,000 copies.
1949 was the year of the Cembalo Scrivano, destined for office personnel, employees and typists. Four editions were published with a print run of 70,000 copies.
And in the same year the Giornale di fabbrica Olivetti was issued as an experimental fortnightly press release managed by certain representatives from the Management Board. Around twenty issues were printed with a print run of 6,000 copies per issue.
The monthly Notizie Olivetti came out in 1952 with the aim of building ties between the factory and the offices and the headquarters and the peripheral offices. In 1960 the magazine was issued every three months and destined for a large public audience with each release focusing on a specific topic. Only for in-house information, the Notizie di fabbrica magazine was published in 1960.
These publications were flanked by Metron, Zodiac, SeleArte and periodicals published by the technical and sales departments such as Systems & Networks – Technical Information Journal, published in English with articles giving the results and experiences of the OS&N research activity, the leading IT company in the Olivetti Group from 1991-93, that continued on from the experience of the previous publications including Tecnologie dei sistemi di informatica Olivetti (1974-1979) and Olivetti Research and Technology Review (1982-1987).
Notizie Olivetti, Azione riformista, Tecnica e Organizzazione and Rivista di Comunità were put in digital format thanks to funding from the Piedmont Region and will be published on the new Piedmont Cultural Heritage digital platform.
The library is open to the public from Monday to Friday at the following times 8.30 a.m.-12.30 p.m. / 1.30-5.00 p.m.
For further information please see the rules.